A History of Southern Hospitality since the 1880’s
The family of Edward Hyatt settled in Laurel Ridge prior to the American Revolution around 1770. In the 1880’s, Hyatt’s great-grandson, Jefferson D. Hyatt, built what evolved into the Piedmont Inn on the very knoll where the clubhouse stands today. The Piedmont Inn quickly became a center of social events for local residents as well as a cool summer destination for flatlanders. Guests arrived by rail from areas as far as Savannah, Charleston and Atlanta. A horse-drawn carriage waited at the station to take them to the Inn. Today, we keep the tradition of fun-filled family activities and sumptuous dining alive for this and future generations of residents and visitors to Waynesville.