FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- Hole #15 is now playable as a par 5. Thanks for your patience as we allowed the grass to grow unimpeded by cart traffic.
- We thank you for taking pride in our golf course and filing divots, repairing ball marks and paying attention to all cart directional signs. We have invested many months of labor, love and money to make LRCC the best possible golf experience for our members and we need your help to reach our goals.
- Exciting news! A new fleet of 50 Club Car Precedent i2 GOLF CARTS is making its way to LRCC due to arrive by late June! You can expect these top-of-the-line cars to have electronic fuel injection with improved efficiency and performance. Thanks to the Harmons for keeping our golf fleet state-of-the-art!
- One more LADIES’ GOLF CLINIC will be held next Tuesday, May 17th. Get a jump start on the season with valuable tips and pointers from our pros! Call the Golf Shop to sign up.
- ATTENTION MEN: The annual Men’s Member Member Tournament is coming up on Saturday & Sunday, May 21 & 22! Two-man teams should sign up in the Golf Shop for this tournament consisting of 36 holes of Better Ball Stroke Play. Winners will be awarded for Gross and Net Division. Entry fee is $75/team; hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar will be available for participants after Sunday’s play.
- Make sure your MEMORIAL DAY includes golf & dinner at LRCC! Cost for golf is $30 plus cart (includes dinner) and golfers tee off at 1 pm. If you’re not golfing, please join us for dinner beginning at 5:30 pm. The buffet includes hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, baked beans, mac & cheese, slaw, watermelon & banana pudding for $18 inclusive.
- LRMGA played a game of “1 Gross Added to 1 Net” on Tuesday, May 10. Overall winners were Chuck Wilson, Dave Blosser, Russell Smith & Dick McCotter with an impressive -10. Winning the Front Nine were Brian Boeye, Bill Plifka, Allen Braswell & Doug McLaughlin at +1; the team of Ernie Brown, Dave Matthys, Ray Todd & Ed Morrison posted the best score on the Back Nine at even par. Dick McCotter won the prize for Closest to the Pin on Hole #3. Thursday’s “Spring Scramble” was followed by lunch in the clubhouse and the annual business meeting. Winning top honors were Brian Boeye, Jere Smith, Dave Crocker & Adam Rawley. The gentlemen are looking forward to next week’s play days with “3 Net” format on Tuesday and “Beat the Pro” on Thursday.
- Wednesday’s LRLGA play was cancelled due to inclement weather.
FITNESS CLASS UPDATE
- Sandy Lampl’s YOGA TONE class begins next Monday at 9:30 am. If you want to unlock your body and heal your aches, don’t miss this weekly class! Class participants are asked to make a donation to Sandy for her services. Mats are available but please bring a mat if you have one. For more info, call Sandy at (828) 226-2171.
- FITNESS TRAINING is available to members free of charge every Wednesday at noon. Strick Strickland will share his years of experience to help you tailor your workout for the most benefit. No pre-registration required.
- Pilates Mat with Erin Owen is a weekly class on Mondays from 5:45-6:45 pm. With healthy biomechanics always a priority, Erin offers a well-rounded, challenging, and invigorating Pilates experience. Become stronger and stand taller, all while improving your flexibility and balance! This core-strengthening class is open level, suitable for most people.
- Pilates For Buff Bones® is held Fridays from 10-11 am. Did you know that certain types of exercise can help improve bone quality? This Pilates-based workout is a medically-endorsed program, designed to be safe and effective for people who have Osteoporosis or Osteopenia. It’s also challenging and invigorating, just like Erin’s regular Pilates class; open level, and suitable for almost anyone (even those without bone density issues!)
- Conditioning for Golf & Racquet Sports follows Pilates on Fridays from 11 am-12 pm. Build strength, increase flexibility, and improve balance in this class. Golfers & tennis players will benefit from exercises and stretches that address stability & control, improve range of motion, and help prevent injury. Discover the relief and power of healthier biomechanics and unearth your body’s capabilities!
The tennis courts and facilities are really shaping up nicely with a lot of hard work by Steven, our Head Tennis Professional. All of our tennis fences and gates were repaired this week, finishing the planned refurbishment of the facility. Steven is away coaching the men’s team from Coastal Georgia at Nationals until May 21st, but Scott Irwin will be covering the court maintenance and any lessons requested.
There will be drop in doubles tomorrow on Saturday, May 14th from 10 am to noon and Scott Irwin will be there to make things run smoothly. If you would like to sign up for any of the programs and events please do so at least 24 hours in advance to ensure proper court scheduling. If no one is signed up for a program/event in advance, it will allow Steven to schedule lessons during that time. As a reminder, Steven has a full pro shop minus clothes and shoes, but I can order anything you might need as I have accounts with all major tennis companies. If you need your racket(s) restrung or you just need a new grip, let Steven know. Also, we have tennis balls in the shop for sale for your added convenience. Steven looks forward to seeing everyone regularly on the tennis courts when he returns on Sunday, May 22nd for a great summer of tennis. If you have any questions, please drop by the tennis center or you can contact him at 912-269-6599 or email email@example.com. Look for a special MEMORIAL DAY TENNIS MIXER…detail to come!
LRCC has two courts in our Pavilion for member’s use when not reserved for club events. Members may play for 15 minutes when others are waiting to play and each player must sign a required liability waiver before playing. Guests may play at a fee of $10 per person per day, same as tennis guests. For those needing to rent equipment, we have paddles and balls available for member rental at the main office, 10 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday. Pickleball equipment from pickleballcentral.com may also be ordered through our main office at preferential pricing by calling Scott at 452-0545, ext. 132.
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Wednesday and Thursday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable on Saturday, May 14th, Friday May 20th, Friday May 27th and Saturday, May 28th due to private and member events.
We are right on schedule for a May 27th opening! The pool has a fresh coat of paint and the area looks great! Pool games are planned for Memorial Day afternoon so bring the family and stay for dinner at 5:30 pm (please call ahead for reservations).
All members are invited to CASINO NIGHT on Saturday, May 21st, to raise funds for the Haywood Healthcare Foundation. The evening will include dancing, roulette, poker, Black Jack, craps & heavy hors d’oeuvres. For tickets and information, contact Marge Stiles, 452-8343.
Don’t miss this fun, lively art event on June 4th sponsored by the Haywood County Arts Council where professional artists race the clock to start and complete a work of art in one fast-paced hour while you watch. Proceeds from this event benefit the arts in Haywood County. For tickets and information, visit wncquickdraw.com.
Welcome back to all the members returning from their winter abodes! Thanks to everyone for calling ahead for dinner and brunch reservations. This courtesy allows us to be properly staffed and better ready to serve you.
- On Tuesday, May 17th, Chef Al will offer a Casual Dining menu. Watch your email for details!
- Space is limited for our upcoming WINE DINNER on Thursday, May 19, 2016. Featured wines from Spain’s PradoRey Winery will pair perfectly with Chef Al’s Sportsman’s menu. Cost is $69++ and seating is limited to the first 25 reservations so please call early.
- FLYING PASTA NIGHT will be held Tuesday, May 24th. Don’t miss this member favorite!
- The TURN WINDOW is now open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! On May 27th, the schedule will expand to daily operation, 10 am-4 pm. Freshly grilled burgers and made-to-order sandwiches are back! Come meet Lisa, our primary Turn Window attendant. Follow this link for a complete Turn Window menu.
- SAVE THE DATE! Our WELCOME BACK PARTY will be held on Friday, June 10, 2016 with cocktails at 6 pm and dinner at 7 pm in the Pavilion. Come catch up with friends you haven’t seen all winter and meet our newest members! The Pro Shop will set up golf games Big Break style including Flop Wall, Black Jack & the popular Island Green. A cash bar will be available and chef will prepare a dinner buffet including fried chicken and BBQ pork for only $15 inclusive. We’re glad you’re here!
Members and guests meet weekly on Tuesday mornings to play this game of skill, strategy and chance. If you have ever wanted to learn how to play, member Jane Noppenberg has offered to teach the ins and outs to anyone interested free of charge on Tuesday afternoons from 1-2:30 pm in the Piedmont Room beginning next Tuesday, May 3rd. For more information, call Jane at 305-978-6345.
ONLINE ACCOUNT ACCESS
All members can now view their club charges, payments and statements online! This means that if you are uncertain about a dining or golf charge, you can view the actual ticket in question. Or if you want to know your current account balance, you have full access to all your up-to-date balance information. Simply follow the link provided on the bottom of LRCC’s website homepage (Paycloud Portal). An option to pay online with a credit card using PLASTIQ is also available for a minimal fee. To find out your confidential account sign-on, call the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, did you know that you can receive your monthly statement by email? This option is great for many members that travel frequently or have more than one residence. To choose email statements and opt out of mailed statements, call the office and leave your preferred email address that you would like to use. It’s that easy…let’s save some trees!
YOUTH SUMMER SPORTS CAMPS
LRCC is excited to offer four week-long Summer Youth Sports & Activities Camps for ages 6-15. Your child or grandchild will benefit from valuable lessons from our Tennis & Golf Pros plus many other activities such as swimming, pickleball, basketball, field games plus arts and crafts. Days packed full of sports and learning activities will ensure a fun experience for all! Please click here for a 2016 Youth Sports Camp Brochure. Space is limited so call the office today to reserve a space today for your child or grandchild. Day camps will be offered during the following weeks in June and July with hours from 10 am-4 pm daily:
- Camp I – June 27 – July 1, 2016
- Camp II – July 11-15, 2016
- Camp III – July 18-22, 2016
- Camp IV – July 25-29, 2016
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
We had another very productive week in Golf Course Maintenance. Our staff has been laying sod most of the week, focusing on the following areas: 1) rough that was lost last season due to lack of water; 2) trench lines that struggled to fill in, and 3) areas that have needed repair for years.
We’ve had several comments about the improved mowing conditions around the greens. This is thanks to two new mowing decks that are on low ground pressure mowers. As well, we have been mowing a perimeter cut at 3/4″ around the flat areas of some green surrounds.
Next week’s tasks include mowing, laying more sod, weedeating and spreading pine needles/mulch. It has been great seeing all the returning faces to Laurel Ridge.
Logan Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent