LABOR DAY FESTIVITIES
Enjoy your holiday with family and friends at LRCC! We have activities for all ages planned throughout the day including golf, tennis & swimming! At 9 am, an ABCD Scramble will tee off with fun games and prizes. The Golf Shop will make all pairings; cost is $12 plus applicable cart fee. From 10 am-12 pm, a Tennis Round Robin will be held at the courts. Pool games begin at 1 pm for kids of all ages. Be sure to visit the Turn Window for hamburgers, hot dogs and holiday specials, including half-price ice cream!
ART AT LAUREL RIDGE
the very popular biennial art show is back! Laurel Ridge members and invited guest artists are invited to share their extraordinary talents with the community during this art exhibition and sale (cash/checks only; no credit cards). Original paintings, one-of-a-kind quilts, pottery, jewelry, scarves, woodworking and much more will be on display and for sale in the Pavilion on September 9, 2016 from 4-7 pm. The art show is open to the public and all are invited to dine in the clubhouse afterward for Flying Pasta Night from 5:30-8:30 pm, by reservation only. Prepare to be awed by the craftsmanship and expertise that will be exhibited by our members.
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
We are very excited to welcome the following new members into the Laurel Ridge family. Please join us in making these new members feel at home!
- Maureen & David Lyden, Lutz, FL
- Carla & Buddy Melton, Clyde, NC
- Margaret & Merritt Rose, Waynesville, NC
- Hope & Tim Surrett, Canton, NC
- Janice & Douglas Sutterlin, Naples, FL
- Carol & Edward Walsh, Naples, FL
FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- LRCC’s Golf Club Championships began today! We look forward to a competitive weekend of golf. Watch for results next week. Good luck to all our Ladies, Ladies Seniors, Men, Men Seniors & Men Super Seniors!
- The annual MIXED MEMBER/MEMBER will be held on Saturday & Sunday, August 27-28. Pick your partner and sign up in the Pro Shop for two great days of golf! Saturday’s play will be Better Ball of Partners with tee times from 9:30-11 am. Sunday’s play will begin at 1 pm with a scramble format. Awards & a meal will follow play on Sunday.
- A sign-up sheet is in the Golf Shop for the LABOR DAY GOLF tournament that will tee off at 9 am. The Golf Shop will make the pairings for this ABCD scramble with lots of fun games & prizes.
- Fall Golf Course Aerification will begin early on the Tuesday following Labor Day, September 6 and should be completed Friday, September 9 at the latest. During this time, the Golf Shop will be open and can assist members with tee times on area golf courses. The exact time that the course will reopen for play is partially dependent on Mother Nature, so call the Golf Shop for an update, 828-452-0545, ext. 171.
- In celebration of Laurel Ridge’s 30th Anniversary, the Laurel Ridge Ladies’ Member-Guest Tournament became a 2-day event for the very first time. The event was themed, “Golf is for the Birds”, and these birds can really play golf! Eighty members and guests enjoyed a practice round on Tuesday followed by a fabulous cocktail party at the Harmon’s magnificent pavilion, which set the tone for this FUN tournament. Breakfast and group photos began the day on Wednesday followed by 18 holes of golf with mulligans and “free throws” and special contests that included a brand new golf cart (courtesy of Appalachian Golf Cars) for a hole-in-one on #15! Following an exciting round, the ladies were treated to a luncheon and ALL 80 participants received a one-of-a-kind hand painted bird painting! All in all, a delightful two days of fun and golf were had by all! The following foursomes and individuals who won were able to pick out birdhouses or received specially designed bags as prizes: OVERALL LOW GROSS (136)-Tammy Wilmot, Sharon Vodenicker, Donna Stamey & Kate Rickards; OVERALL LOW NET (106)-Kathleen Korber, June Groh, Lisa Benson & Cindy Bossart; FRONT NINE LOW GROSS (64)-Melonie Murpy, Jane Shicau, Deborah Beasley, Darlene Werhnyak; FRONT NINE LOW NET (53)-Marinell Altizer, Linda Mayo, Linda Mikkelson & Brenda Lozan; BACK NINE LOW GROSS (76)-Kaison Gottlieb, Betty Ann Beavers, Nikki Slusser & Karen Byrne; BACK NINE LOW NET (52) Jane Noppenberg, Lamar Noriega, Sue Major & Sharon Kendall. CLOSEST TO PIN: Linda McHugh (#8), Sue Kline (#17), Robin Phelan (#1) & Connie McNeill (#1).
- Kudos to our Hilly Dilly Winners on August 14th, Rick Schlapkohl, Lynne James & Richard Gerber. This team barely defeated the second place team of Kevin Murphy, Dawn Plifka & Ann Arnold and third place finishers, Mel Goldron, Marci Mitchell & Scott Arnold. Thanks to Tournament Co-Chairs, Ann Todd and Judy Dykes, also thanks to Bambi Wilson for her outstanding photography, and all the artists and volunteers that made this event such a grand success!
- The LRLGA played the first day of a 2-day tournament this Wednesday. Results will posted after next week’s play.
- A Progressive format for Tuesday’s LRMGA play day finished with Chuck Wilson, Gerald Baker, Allen Braswell & John Bowers on top with -24. In second place was Dick Oehme, Dave Blevins & Ray Todd with -20. Dave Matthys won Closest to the Pin on hole #17. On Thursday, the team of Dick Oehme, Don McGowan & Russell Smith won the prize for the 2-Net format with -21. Closest to the Pin honors went to Dick Oehme on hole #3. Nice job, guys!
- Attention golfers…mark your calendars for the Haywood Healthcare Foundation Charitable Classic Golf & Gala on August 30 & 31. Click here for a downloadable flyer.
- We are pleased to offer a full slate of fitness classes for our members led by certified professionals in yoga, pilates and fitness training. For an up-to-date list of classes currently offered by Sandy, Erin, Lisa and Strick, follow this link for a downloadable FITNESS CLASS SCHEDULE.
- Eileen Corbin has added another TRX class to our Fitness Class schedule. In addition to her Wednesday morning classes, she can schedule up to four participants on Thursday mornings from 9-9:45 am. TRX is a new and different approach to fitness for men and women that is safe regardless of age, gender or fitness level. Please call Eileen if you wish to attend, 828.421.8566. Cost is $10 per class, payable to Eileen.
- LMBT Brenda Gibson is offering MASSAGE SERVICES in the newly renovated Massage Room in the Fitness Center beginning at $70/hour. Brenda has been a licensed, practicing Massage Therapist since 2009 specializing in Relaxation, Deep Tissue, Trigger Point Therapy, Neuromuscular Therapy, Hot Stone, as well as aromatherapy and other enhancements. Appointments should be made with Brenda personally, (850) 491-9425. She also offers convenient online booking on her website, waynesvillemassagebybrenda.com.
I hope to see our tennis members bright and early on Saturday morning for the weekly clinic at 9 am. After the clinic, there is a free round robin for members. Labor Day is quickly approaching and we will hold a HOLIDAY ROBIN ROBIN from 10 am-12 pm. Come join us as we begin to close out the season. Have a great weekend and if you would like to sign up for lessons, courts, or the Saturday clinic call or email me at 912-269-6599 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Steven Howard, Director of Tennis
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Tuesday and Wednesday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. Please note the change from the previous Wednesday/Thursday schedule. Member Jerry McCarthy has volunteered to be the contact for these matches so please call him for more information, 452-6858. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable August 26, September 8-10, 13, 16-17 & 30 due to private and member events (subject to change).
Thanks for your incredible support of the restaurant and Turn Window this season! The restaurant serves dinner every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Check your email or the online events calendar for menus and hours. Lunch in the clubhouse is available Tuesday through Saturday and a scrumptious Sunday Brunch is offered with a different menu weekly. Our Turn Window is open daily, 10 am-4 pm. Please call ahead for dinner and brunch reservations.
- The Turn Window will be closed during Golf Course Aerification from Tuesday-Friday, September 6-9. Clubhouse dining is available on regular schedule.
- Sunday’s Brunch Buffet will offer carved roast beef au jus, fried Georgia catfish, new potatoes, mac & pimento cheese with bacon, steamed vegetable medley, green peas, broccoli salad, green salad, omelet station, Belgian waffles with fruit compote & all your breakfast favorites for $20.99. Ages 7-12 can dine for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13. The Bar is offering specials on Bloody Marys & Mimosas. Brunch is served from 11 am-2:30 pm.
- Don’t miss next Tuesday at LRCC! Chef Al will offer a buffet with regional favorites featuring fried chicken, meatloaf with mushrooms & bleu cheese, mashed Yukon potatoes, macaroni & cheese, steamed cabbage, roasted summer squash, green salad, tomato basil bisque & dessert for $19.99. Ages 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free. TRIVIA will begin at 7 pm in the Cedar Room. Cost for trivia is $5 per person. Trivia is always a blast! Come alone or bring a team to compete. Last week’s winning Trivia team was Clueless with Laura & Alan Lang and Pat & Jim Janke. Congrats!
- Tuesday, August 30 is FLYING PASTA NIGHT. Please call ahead for reservations on this very popular night of dining so that we are prepared and can serve you better.
- Chef will offer a PRIME RIB BUFFET on Tuesday, September 6th. Plan to bring a guest you want to impress!
- Mark your calendars for a WINE DINNER on Thursday, September 15. Our Chefs expertly prepare a menu to pair perfectly with wine from a select region. Seating is limited to the first 25 so call early for reservations…more info to come.
YOUNG ARTISTS GALA
In cooperation with the Haywood County Arts Council, Laurel Ridge will host an unforgettable evening of friends, food and music for members and guests with an exclusive performance by internationally acclaimed pianist, Ji. Save the date for this phenomenal fundraising concert benefiting local arts and artists and our mountain artistic heritage. Members can participate in this limited gathering by completing a sponsorship form available in the LRCC offices. For more information about the featured young artist, visit http://www.yca.org/artist/ji/.
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
What a wet few weeks we have had at the golf course. We actually received some form of rain nearly everyday. The golf course has drained very well, excluding some areas where drains must be added. My staff will be addressing these areas in early September. Please make every attempt to avoid any wet locations in low lying areas. Rainfall for August is around 4 inches at the maintenance shop. Many of our golf holes have areas that tend to dry out even when other areas in the same fairway are too wet. Because of the unpredictability of weather in the mountains, my crew must fight a constant battle to keep grass healthy in conditions that go from being too dry to too wet.
We will be starting to replace the pond drain on the right of hole #5 next week. The old drain has an issue and dumps all water out of the pond and then somehow refills itself. Silt has built up over the years from construction runoff on Eagles Nest. The silt will be excavated and allowed to dry below the existing dam of the pond. Once it is dry enough to level, we will smooth the area and plant some type of vegetation. We have been working with the Army Corp. of Engineers to develop a plan to protect the stream below this site. Please excuse machines and noise on this hole for the two weeks of estimated work.
As we look ahead to aerification on September 6-9, we will be following the same process as this spring. We will aerify the greens, tees, greens surrounds and fairways. The only difference will be no cores will be pulled on the fairways. A solid “shatter” tine will be used to break up compaction and allow air and water movement into the natural clay/rock sub-surface.
Good luck to all the participants in this years Super Senior, Seniors, Ladies’ and Men’s Club Championships! Logan Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent
CONCEALED WEAPONS COURSE
Member Harvey Morse will teach another Concealed Weapons & NC/FL Carry Permit Course on Wednesday, September 7, 2016. Class will be held at LRCC from 9 am-6 pm in the Mountain Vista Room. Cost is $99 plus lunch. Class fees include ammo and are payable to Mr. Morse (cash is preferred/checks accepted). For questions or to sign up, call 828-631-0000.
HCC SHINE & DINE GALA
Members are invited to a Gala to support the work of the Haywood Community College Foundation on September 16th at LRCC. Guests will enjoy a buffet dinner, demonstrations by students and alumni, music and a silent auction. All monies raised will work to aid, strengthen, and further the work and service of Haywood Community College in securing financial support for scholarships, mini-grants, College events, community initiatives, and student and instructor initiatives. For tickets or information, call 627-4522 or visit haywood.edu/foundation.