WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
We are excited to welcome the following new members into the Laurel Ridge family. Please join us in making these new members feel at home.
- David Boyd, Waynesville, NC
- Becky & Ken Coppedge, Tampa, FL
- Darren Nicholson, Canton, NC
- Barbara & Steven Szczpanski, Waynesville, NC
- Kristin Traber & Joel Taylor, Waynesville, NC
FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- On a breezy Island day at Laurel Ridge, 43 players teed off for Hawaiian Shirt Day, a combined event with the LRLGA hosted by the LRMGA. Lunch was provided by the LRMGA following play. The day’s format was 6 holes Shamble, 6 holes Scramble & 6 holes Best 2 Net of 4, with prizes awarded to the overall top two teams and the best scores for each of the three disciplines. The overall winning team with a score of 24 under par was Gerald Baker, Ann Cramm, Sandy Lester & Shelly James. At a close second was the team of Pete Mitchell, Carolyn Bowers, Jan Smith & Don McGowan at 21 under par. Each discipline also had a winning team: the Scramble format was won by Chuck Wilson, Kathleen Korber, Dave Matthys and Steve Hewitt.(-2). The Best 2 Net of 4 format was won by Jerry McCarthy, Linda McHugh, Lynne James and Paul Henson.(-13) Winning the Shamble format was Ed McHugh, Marci Mitchell and Tom Wilkinson. (-12). Our two Closest to Pin winners were Don Thompson for the men and Kathleen Korber for the ladies. And most importantly, the Best Dressed award went to the team of Jerry and Roxanne McCarthy. Thanks to all teams for their Island spirit and congrats to the winners!
- Sign up in the Golf Shop for a NINE & DINE on Tuesday, August 2nd. This social couple’s golf event begins at 5 pm with nine holes of golf followed by dinner in the clubhouse (from the menu).
- Half-price Golf Guest Day is Monday, August 8th. The cost of $47 includes green fee, cart fee and a sandwich from the Turn Window. Members should accompany their guests.
- Join us for a fun, social Hilly Dilly on Sunday afternoon, August 14. Make your own 4-some for this Captain’s Choice golf tournament that begins at 1 pm. Cost for golf is $30 plus cart fee (includes dinner). A Dinner Buffet will follow at 5:30 pm in the clubhouse for all members.
- LRCC’s Golf Club Championships is scheduled for August 19-21. This event is for Ladies, Ladies Seniors, Men, Men Seniors & Men Super Seniors. Call the Pro Shop for details.
- The annual MIXED MEMBER/MEMBER will be held on Saturday & Sunday, August 27-28. Pick your partner and sign up in the Pro Shop for two great days of golf! Saturday’s play will be Better Ball of Partners with tee times from 9:30-11 am. Sunday’s play will begin at 1 pm with a scramble format. Awards & a meal will follow play on Sunday.
- Tuesday’s LRMGA format was 4-Ball with 2-man teams. Adam Rawley and Charles Brantley took top honors with -13. Russell Smith finished close behind with -12. A tie for third place between Mel Johnson/Sven Oberg & Chuck Wilson/John Bowers rounded out our prize winners. Nice job, gentlemen!
- Attention golfers…mark your calendars for the Haywood Healthcare Foundation Charitable Classic Golf & Gala on August 30 & 31. Click here for a downloadable flyer.
- We are pleased to offer a full slate of fitness classes for our members led by certified professionals in yoga, pilates and fitness training. For an up-to-date list of classes currently offered by Sandy, Erin, Lisa and Strick, follow this link for a downloadable Fitness Class Schedule.
- LMBT Brenda Gibson is offering MASSAGE SERVICES in the newly renovated Massage Room in the Fitness Center beginning at $70/hour. Brenda has been a licensed, practicing Massage Therapist since 2009 specializing in Relaxation, Deep Tissue, Trigger Point Therapy, Neuromuscular Therapy, Hot Stone, as well as aromatherapy and other enhancements. Appointments should be made with Brenda personally, (850) 491-9425. She also offers convenient online booking on her website, waynesvillemassagebybrenda.com.
We continue to have week after week of great activity on the tennis courts. Almost every day, the courts are busy in the mornings so please make sure that you call to reserve a court in advance. Saturday mornings have been great with lots of participation and a fun with the clinic at 9 am followd by the mixer. Come join us tomorrow for a morning of tennis.
I will be out of town this weekend on business but our GM Scott Irwin, USPTA, will teach the morning clinic and will run the 10 am to noon mixer. We hope to see you there.
Have a great weekend and if you would like to sign up for lessons, courts, or the Saturday clinic call or email me at 912-269-6599 or email@example.com. Steven Howard, Director of Tennis
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Tuesday and Wednesday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. Please note the change from the previous Wednesday/Thursday schedule. Member Jerry McCarthy has volunteered to be the contact for these matches so please call him for more information, 452-6858. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable August 5, 13, 16 & 20 due to private and member events (subject to change).
Thanks for your incredible support of the restaurant and Turn Window this season! The restaurant serves dinner every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Check your email or the online events calendar for menus and hours. Lunch in the clubhouse is available Tuesday through Saturday and a scrumptious Sunday Brunch is offered with a different menu weekly. Our Turn Window is open daily, 10 am-4 pm. Please call ahead for dinner and brunch reservations.
- Sunday’s Brunch Buffet will offer pan-seared pork chops with sherried mushroom & onion gravy, fried Georgia catfish, white rice, roasted potatoes, tomato & Vidalia casserole, steamed broccoli, vegetable slaw, mixed green salad, omelet station, Belgian waffles with berry compote, bacon & sausage, cheese grits, homefries & more for $19.99. Kids 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13. The Bar is offering specials on Bloody Marys & Mimosas.
- Next Tuesday, Chef Al will offer an Asian-inspired buffet featuring egg drop soup, veggie egg rolls, pepper steak, sesame chicken, Jasmine rice, vegetable lo mein, steamed vegetables & dessert for $18.99. Age 8-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under is free.
- SOCK HOP MEMBER MIXER: Meet your pals at Al’s Diner for a night of burgers & rock ‘n’ roll! DJ Wes will rock the Pavilion with those nostalgic 50’s tunes so be sure to dress the part! The menu includes burgers, grilled cheese, onion rings, French fries, broccoli salad & ice cream sundaes for only $20 inclusive! Cocktails begin at 5:30 followed by dinner at 6:30 pm. Don’t miss it…this bash will be Coolsville!
- Members will have two opportunities to attend Flying Pasta Night in August! Due to a special request, this very popular dining event will be offered on August 9 and August 30. Please call ahead for reservations so that we may serve you better.
- ATTENTION SEAFOOD LOVERS! Chef Al will offer a seafood buffet on Tuesday, August 16! Whether you prefer broiled or fried, there is something for everyone on this abundant buffet.
- On Friday evening August 19, JAZZ GUITARIST Steve Wohlrab will play during dinner service from 5:30-8:30 pm. Watch your email for Chef’s Dinner Specials. Don’t miss this special night of dining at LRCC!
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
After a very dry spring and early summer, the recent rain showers have been a blessing. Most afternoons this week we have benefited from some form of rain. This rain contains nitrogen that is not available in irrigation water. The downside to the rain showers is high humidity, wet areas on the course and slower greens. Not just our golfers suffer from the high humidity! The effects on the grass are measurable; disease occurs rapidly and fungicide effectiveness is shortened. Please attempt to avoid the wet spots that are forming in the low areas or run offs of some fairways. Green speeds are a little slower currently due to the moisture, we have applied a wetting agent on the greens that helps move water deeper into the soil profile.
Last week and early this week was spent aerifying the greens, collars and #8 green surround. The summer stress is always hard to manage and we have a tired golf course. By venting these areas with a solid tine aerifying process, gases are released as well as air and water are allowed to move into the soil better. We hopefully will only have to do this process that one time before a full aerification starting September 6th. We aerified the putting greens, rolled the tufts back down, then mowed everything smooth. The holes were tiny after all steps were performed.
In the upcoming weeks, we will be installing a greens fan on #8 green. The vegetation that has grown up over the years is preventing this green from getting the correct amount of air movement. A 36″ Turfbreeze fan will provide cooler air from the back left woods and disperse it 125 feet across the “bowl” that #8 sits in. The fan will run off and on 24 hours per day as needed. The small amount of noise that it does generate will surprise you. Construction crews may be working there, so please excuse any interruptions. The vegetation will be removed starting soon. Not only will this help the turf grow correctly, but it opens up a wonderful view. Logan Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent
CONCEALED WEAPONS COURSE
Member Harvey Morse will teach a Concealed Weapons & NC/FL Carry Permit Course on August 2-3, 2016. Classes will be held at LRCC from 10 am-2 pm. Cost is $99 plus lunch. Class fees include ammo and are payable to Mr. Morse (cash is preferred/checks accepted). For questions or to sign up, call 828-631-0000.
Don’t forget Date Night on Fridays! Parents can enjoy golf, tennis, swimming or dining in the clubhouse while the kids (potty-trained thru age 12 only, please) play games and activities, have dinner and watch a movie on Friday nights. Kids may be dropped off at The Market anytime after 5:30 pm and must be picked up by 9:30 pm. Parents must sign in and out for each child and remain on LRCC property while children are in our care. $12 inclusive per child for the evening includes childcare, dinner & beverages. Please make an advance reservation for your child by calling Mandy at 452-0545, ext. 131.
HCC SHINE & DINE GALA
Members are invited to a Gala to support the work of the Haywood Community College Foundation on September 16th at LRCC. Guests will enjoy a buffet dinner, demonstrations by students and alumni, music and a silent auction. All monies raised will work to aid, strengthen, and further the work and service of Haywood Community College in securing financial support for scholarships, mini-grants, College events, community initiatives, and student and instructor initiatives. For tickets or information, call 627-4522 or visit haywood.edu/foundation.
YOUTH SPORTS CAMP RECAP
We had four very successful (& busy!) weeks of Youth Sports Camps this summer! We thank all the parents and grandparents for sharing your children with us! We see great potential in each and every camper that attended! We hope everyone learned an appreciation of golf, tennis and sportsmanship that will follow them into adulthood. We are pleased to announce that we will be offering four weeks of sports camp again next summer. In addition, a Holiday Activities Camp in December 2016 and a Spring Break Camp 2017 will be available. Spots for these upcoming camps can be reserved in advance by calling the office.