FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- Next Tuesday evening will be our first NINE & DINE of the season. Sign up in the Pro Shop for nine holes of couple’s golf followed by dinner in the clubhouse (from the menu).
- MARK YOUR CALENDARS! Join us for a fun social Hilly Dilly on Sunday afternoon, June 26th. After golf, a dinner buffet will be served in the clubhouse. More info to come!
- LRLGA- The ladies’ Member/Member tournament is coming up quickly on Wednesday, June 22nd and Friday, June 24th. Choose your partner and sign up for two great days of golf finishing with lunch in the clubhouse. During Wednesday’s Stableford play, Ann Cramm finished first with 64, followed by Linda McHugh (57) and Kathleen Korber and Jan Smith tied at 56. In the 9-Holers, Mary Lou Barnes finished on top with 35 followed by Vida Rutenis with 39.
- LRMGA – Brian Boeye won Thursday’s Stableford play with a 42 followed by a tie for 2nd between Ed McHugh and Don McGowan at 41. Tuesday’s Shamble format was lead by Dick Oehme, Jim Major and Ray McGowan for the 3-somes and Brian Boeye, Jere Smith, Sven Oberg & Gene Milano for the 4-somes. Any golfing member can join the LRMGA and play on Tuesdays and Thursdays by signing up in the Pro Shop.
- Laurel Ridge ladies competed in the Blue Ridge Women’s Golf Association at Maggie Valley Country Club on Thursday, June 9th. Deborah Beasley won top honors, playing in the 1st Flight, finishing with a gross score of 76. Donna Stamey won 3rd Low Gross in the 1st Flight with an 81. Kathleen Korber was the 1st Low Gross winner in the 3rd Flight, also scoring an 81. Way to play, ladies!
- Chuck Worrell shot an ace on Saturday, June 4th on hole #10 from green tees …about 100 yards. Congrats!
FITNESS CLASS UPDATE
- Sandy Lampl’s YOGA TONE class begins next Monday at 9:30 am. If you want to unlock your body and heal your aches, don’t miss this weekly class! Class participants are asked to make a donation to Sandy for her services. Mats are available but please bring a mat if you have one. For more info, call Sandy at (828) 226-2171.
- FITNESS TRAINING is available to members free of charge every Wednesday at noon. Strick Strickland will share his years of experience to help you tailor your workout for the most benefit. No pre-registration required.
- Pilates Mat with Erin Owen is a weekly class on Mondays from 5:45-6:45 pm. With healthy biomechanics always a priority, Erin offers a well-rounded, challenging, and invigorating Pilates experience. Become stronger and stand taller, all while improving your flexibility and balance! This core-strengthening class is open level, suitable for most people.
- Pilates For Buff Bones® is held Fridays from 10-11 am. Did you know that certain types of exercise can help improve bone quality? This Pilates-based workout is a medically-endorsed program, designed to be safe and effective for people who have Osteoporosis or Osteopenia. It’s also challenging and invigorating, just like Erin’s regular Pilates class; open level, and suitable for almost anyone (even those without bone density issues!)
- Conditioning for Golf & Racquet Sports follows Pilates on Fridays from 11 am-12 pm. Build strength, increase flexibility, and improve balance in this class. Golfers & tennis players will benefit from exercises and stretches that address stability & control, improve range of motion, and help prevent injury. Discover the relief and power of healthier biomechanics and unearth your body’s capabilities!
I hope everyone has had a great week. The tennis courts are rocking now with most mornings having all four courts full. We are having to do some strategic scheduling, but we are accommodating everyone. As always, please sign up at least 24 hours in advance for clinics and events and if anyone needs to reach me, don’t hesitate to call or email me at 912-269-6599 or email@example.com.
Saturday the 11th is almost upon us and I hope to see everyone at our “Official Tennis Opening Day”!! I will have the clinic at 9 am before the round robin starts, so come out, warm up and improve your game with me for an hour to ensure that you play great for the day. A representative from Prince will be here to show off their newest technology and a round robin will run from 10 am-12 pm with a tennis carnival so players can hit for prizes. It will be a fun morning of tennis and and some great competition and refreshments. As always, come photogenic because I will be snapping pictures to put on the website to show off everyone’s amazing playing abilities.
On the weekend of June 25-26 we will have an Adult NTRP Doubles tournament with Men’s, Women’s and Mixed Doubles in 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and Open categories. Ideally we would like a minimum of four entries per category. Please, there is a three event limit per person. Balls, snacks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and awards are included in the entry fee of $20 per team ($10 per person). LRCC Sports and Golf members only are able to participate in this event. Please secure your partner(s) now and sign up with me at the Pro Shop.
Keep July 9-10 set aside on your tennis calendar for our LRCC Pro-Am tournament. There will be a Men’s and Mixed Doubles tournament and space will be limited. Each participating member will be paired with a pro for each of these two events. More details will be forthcoming, but registration is first come, first served, so see me right away to guarantee your spot.
For the tip of the week: make sure that you are taking at least four steps before you hit every ball. This will help create proper spacing between you and the ball. In Tennis, Steven Howard
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Wednesday and Thursday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. Member Jerry McCarthy has volunteered to be the contact for these matches so please call him for more information, 452-6858. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable June 11, 17-19, 25-26 due to private and member events (subject to change).
ATTENTION PARENTS: Date Night is back by popular demand and will be available on Friday evenings this summer! Parents can enjoy golf, tennis, swimming or dining in the clubhouse while the kids (potty-trained thru age 12 only, please) play games and activities, have dinner and watch a movie on Friday nights. Kids may be dropped off at The Market anytime after 5:30 pm and must be picked up by 9:30 pm. Parents must sign in and out for each child and remain on LRCC property while children are in our care. $12 inclusive per child for the evening includes childcare, dinner & beverages. Please make an advance reservation for your child by calling Mandy at 452-0545, ext. 131.
Our season is underway and the staff is pleased to see our members return home to Laurel Ridge. We’re excited to have over 160 members coming for tonight’s member party! Some of you may have unredeemed dining gift certificates from 2014-15 that they wish to use. During the month of June only, we will take these expired dining gift certificates for any food purchase in the restaurant only. So please hurry because after June 30th, these expired certificates will no longer be accepted.
- This Sunday’s brunch menu features carved hardwood-smoked ham, parmesan salmon, roasted pepper mac & cheese, basmati pilaf, southern green beans, zucchini, squash & tomatoes, broccoli salad, mixed green salad, omelet station, biscuits & gravy, cheese grits, home fries & more for $19.99! Kids 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13. The Bar is offering $5 Bloody Marys and $7 Mimosas.
- On Tuesday, June 14th, Chef will prepare a Family Buffet with grilled chicken with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella & basil, spaghetti bolognese, pasta fagioli, baked potato bar, steamed broccoli, green salad, Caesar salad & assorted desserts for only $15.99. Kids 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free. Tuesday is also Trivia Night, so plan to stay after dinner for games beginning at 7 pm. Reservations are appreciated.
- Act quickly if you plan to treat Dad to FATHER’S DAY BRUNCH at LRCC on June 19th! Chef Al will offer a buffet fit for a King including slow-roasted prime rib au jus, smoke BBQ back ribs, fried chicken, yukon potato mash, roasted pepper mac & cheese, green beans, vegetable casserole, citrus slaw, seafood pasta salad, spring salad, omelet station, bacon & sausage, biscuits & gravy, cheese grits, home fries & more for $27.99. Kids 7-12 eat for $8; 6 & under are free. Sorry, the Member Only Breakfast Special is not available on this day. Make your reservations early to ensure availability for the time you wish to reserve between 11 am-3 pm.
- Flying Pasta Night is Tuesday, June 21st. Our Chefs will create your pasta dish right in front of you! Because this is a popular dining event, please call ahead for reservations, 452-0545.
- SAVE THE DATE! On Friday, July 22nd, LRCC will partner with HART to bring you a memorable evening of DINNER & THEATRE. Members can wine and dine at the club before traveling to Hart Theatre to enjoy reserved seating for Jesus Christ Superstar, the timeless work that rocked the world in 1971! For those not attending the theatre, only one seating is available for dinner service at 6 pm with a special plated meal.
FOURTH OF JULY FESTIVITIES
The Fourth of July at LRCC is for families! Make plans to be at the club on the Fourth of July for a full schedule of festivities! Meet on the practice green at 8:45 am for singing of the National Anthem and prayer. A fun 4-person golf scramble will begin at 9 am and also a tennis round robin will run from 9-11 am with prizes and refreshments. Chef will serve a delicious lunch buffet with beef brisket & BBQ chicken in the clubhouse from 12-2:30 pm followed by our inaugural golf cart parade! Carts should line up in front of the clubhouse at 2:30 pm; prizes will be awarded to fan favorites decided by secret ballot. Pool games for all ages with prizes will be held throughout the afternoon. Invite your friends and family to join us!
A REMINDER FOR POOL & TENNIS USERS
Under the new LRCC policies adopted on January 1, 2016, Social members can only use the swimming pool and tennis facilities 2 times per month, and a maximum of 6 times per calendar year. If you plan on using the pool or tennis facilities on a regular basis this summer, please contact the office at 828-452-0545, ext. 131 to upgrade your Social membership to the Sports category. A Sports membership will give you unlimited use of the pool and tennis! We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your cooperation.
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
Mother Nature can not decide whether to be cool and wet or hot and dry. We had a couple of mornings in the upper 40s this week. The forecast for the weekend includes temperatures in the upper 80s during the day. Unfortunately, our turf growth will stop when temperatures get that warm. Bentgrass performs best with temperatures between 55-65 degrees. So with temperatures during the day around 85-90, bentgrass will struggle. The good news is our irrigation pond seems to keep water levels pretty consistent for the amounts that we are putting out during the dry times.
The maintenance staff began knocking down the vegetation down from last winter’s clearing projects. We hope to do this 2-3 times this year. This effort will allow us to mow as many of these areas as possible with our all terrain brush deck. We will begin tackling the landscape beds next week. Several individuals have expressed interest in maintaining some flower beds on the golf course. If you are interested in sponsoring a golf hole by maintaining the flower beds, please contact me.
With the hot temperatures, we will be watering in the afternoons for the next several days. I apologize in advance if you run into any running water. We have to do anything possible to keep the golf course heading in the right direction. Have a great member mixer tonight and welcome back! Logan Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent
YOUTH SUMMER SPORTS CAMPS
Sessions are filling up for our Summer Youth Sports & Activities Camps for ages 6-15. Your child or grandchild will benefit from valuable lessons from our Tennis & Golf Pros plus many other activities such as swimming, pickleball, basketball, field games plus arts and crafts. Days packed full of sports and learning activities will ensure a fun experience for all! Please click here for a 2016 Youth Sports Camp Brochure. Space is limited so call the office today to reserve a space today for your child or grandchild. Day camps will be offered during the following weeks in June and July with hours from 10 am-4 pm daily:
- Camp I – June 27 – July 1, 2016
- Camp II – July 11-15, 2016
- Camp III – July 18-22, 2016
- Camp IV – July 25-29, 2016
Do you know anyone looking for a country club home? Through June 30th, we are offering Golf, Sports or Social Memberships with discounted initiation fees with a 2-year commitment! Tell your friends, business associates and colleagues about the benefits of membership. All members enjoy year-round social activities, clubhouse dining & 24-hour Fitness Center access. Sports members also have tennis, pickleball & pool privileges. Golf members can play unlimited rounds all year. Best of all, when you refer a prospective member and they join, you receive an account credit to spend any way you like.
LAUREL RIDGE HOA
The LRHOA now has an email address for your convenience. If you need to contact the HOA, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.