Our Management Team, Seth Churi and Ken Guerra, would like to thank all LRCC members for their informative responses to the recent member survey. Every response is currently being studied and given utmost consideration. It was obvious from your thoughtful comments that you care about your club and its staff. Seth and Ken, with the help of LRCC Department Managers, are working together to see where changes can be made to improve your membership experience. A large part of their focus is to enhance member satisfaction. They will share the results with the membership soon along with a plan of action.
HUNTER IN THE SKIES
A new member event has been added to LRCC’s Social Calendar, an event unlike any other! HUNTER IN THE SKIES will be presented on Thursday afternoon, October 13 at 3 pm in the Pavilion by Mike Skinner, a Naturalist and Executive Director with Balsam Mountain Trust. This bird of prey program is an amazing journey of discovery with some of the most well-adapted predators on earth. Not only will members get to be up close and personal with some of the Trust’s animal ambassadors, they’ll also get to see the birds in action. This program is free of charge and will excite young and old; please RSVP to the office by Wednesday, October 12 to participate in this edu-tainment. A cash bar will be available.
FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- Half-price Golf Guest Day is Monday, October 10th. Bring your friends or colleagues for a fun day on the course. The cost of $47 includes green fee and cart fee. Members should accompany their guests.
- PRO SHOP SALE! All ladies clothing is on sale for 40% off! Also, Bridgestone Golf Balls are offered at a special price: B330 Series, buy 2 dozen, get one free; E Series, buy 2 dozen for $40 (regularly $31/dozen). It’s not too early to start your Christmas shopping for the golfers on your list!
- Congratulations to famed golfer Tammy Wilmot from Orlando, recipient of the 2016 “Julie Madison Award“. Julie Madison, an exceptional golfer from Jacksonville, is presenting the award at the LRLGA Fall Luncheon to recognize Tammy’s lifelong contributions to golf. Kudos to both of these ladies for their impressive achievements.
- 2016 LADY EAGLE CUP: With teams of 10 players, the Lady Eagle Cup Purple and Blue teams began play on Thursday fighting for the available 18 points per match. The format for the first day of play was the always difficult Modified Alternate Shot. After five matches, the Purple Team led by a slim margin of 2 points with 46. Leading the Purple Team on Day One was the team of Jane Noppenberg and Susan Hale with 12.5 popints. Day Two play was the popular Scramble format, which saw the Blue Team victorious by a 3-point margin giving them a 1-point lead (90.5 to 89.5). This comeback by the Blue Team was led by the 11 point totals won by Pat Janke and Marci Mitchell. Sunday afternoon’s Single matches were a Better Ball format. Again led by Jane and Susan with 12.5 points each and Linda McHugh and Priscilla Boeye’s 11.5 points, The Purple Team staged a comeback and won the title by a slim margin of 3 points (136.5 to 133.5). Lady Eagle Point Leader was Lynne James with 33.5 points. Other Individual Point Leaders were: (Purple) Susan Hale, 33; Jane Noppenberg, 32; Priscilla Boeye, 31.5; Kathleen Korber, 30; Linda McHugh, 29: (Blue) Lynne James, 33.5; Marci Mitchell, 32; Nicki Slusser, 29; Joyce Schlapkohl, 28.5; and Brenda Fulton, 27. Nice job, ladies! Both teams played extraordinarily well!
- 2016 PIEDMONT CUP: The 17th Annual Piedmont Cup was held this past weekend with an excited field of 28 players divided into two teams. The Navy Team took an early lead after Day One by a margin of 2 points over the Green Team. With only 21 points available each day (3 points per match), the second day’s matches were so competitive that the day ended in a draw, with the Navy Team keeping its 2-point lead heading into Sunday’s Single matches. On Sunday, the battles continued with each team winning equally early on; but as more matches concluded, the Navy Team ran away with the lead and the title. Led by match sweeps by Navy Team members, Richard Gerber, Dave Blevins, Ron Muse, Don Thompson and Scott Hickle, the final score was a lopsided victory for the Navy Team (47.5 to 36.5). Point Leader for the Piedmont Cup was Dave Blevins with a perfect score of 9! Other Individual Point Leaders over three days of competition were: (Navy) Dave Blevins, 9; Don Thompson, 7.5; Larry Phalin, 7.5, Mel Gondron, 7; Dan Doyle, 6; (Green) John Cairns, 5.5; Brian Boeye, 5.5; Buddy Beaty, 5.5; Hollis Prior, 5.5; Tom Hines, 4.5; Don McGowan, 4.5; and Ron Petty, 4.5. Congrats to our winners on their hard-fought victory! Thanks to all of our participants for closing out the 2016 golfing season in style.
FITNESS CENTER UPDATE
- In addition to her Tuesday Muscles and Mascara Fitness Class for our ladies, Lisa Falbo will now offer a Tone & Stretch Class on Monday mornings at 10 am. This session is open to men and ladies and will focus on light resistance training and deep yoga-type stretching. Cost is $10 payable to Lisa. If you have questions, contact Lisa at 828-337-1368.
- Members have only one week left to learn from World Senior Tennis Champion, Larry Turville. He has offered to share his considerable knowledge and expertise with our members by teaching lessons at LRCC through mid-October. If you are interested in lessons or lesson fees, call Larry directly at 239-207-6604.
- The tennis ball machine is available for members’ use at a rate of $12/hour. To reserve the ball machine, please contact Duane in the Golf Shop in advance so that his staff can assist you, 452-0545, ext. 171.
Thanks for your incredible support of the restaurant and Turn Window this season! The restaurant serves dinner every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Check your email or the online events calendar for menus and hours. Lunch in the clubhouse is available Tuesday through Saturday and a scrumptious Sunday Brunch is offered with a different menu weekly. Please call ahead for dinner and brunch reservations.
- As the season comes to a close, many members still have a balance left to spend on their annual Food & Beverage Minimum. No worries though, there are still many opportunities to come enjoy lunch, brunch or dinner and dine with us! And remember, To Go orders and catering will also count toward your minimum; however, alcoholic beverages do not per NC law. Please keep in mind that December will be very busy with outside events and parties, so it may be wise not to wait until late. Any unspent portion left on your minimum will be billed to your account on January 1, 2017.
- Sunday’s Brunch menu features carved leg of lamb with mint jelly, fried flounder, parsley potatoes, pinto beans, butternut squash, vegetable casserole, broccoli casserole, mixed green salad, omelet station, blueberry-pecan french toast casserole & all your breakfast favorites for $22.99. Ages 7-12 can dine for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13.99. The Bar is offering specials on Bloody Marys & Mimosas. Brunch is served from 11 am-2:30 pm.
- Next Tuesday, Chef will prepare a delicious “TASTE OF FALL” Buffet showcasing the area’s exceptional Autumn harvest. The menu will include winter squash bisque, grilled skirt steak with smoked bleu cheese, fried chicken, Yukon Gold Mash, Vidalia tomato casserole, steamed cabbage, roasted parsnips, turnips & carrots, kale & apple slaw, mixed green salad, pumpkin bread pudding with bourbon sauce & pecan pie. Cost is $20.99 for adults/$8 Ages 7-12/6 & under are free.
- FLYING PASTA NIGHT is Tuesday, October 18th! Our Chefs will create your pasta dish right in front of you! This is a popular dining event so please call ahead for reservations.
- An exquisite THANKSGIVING BUFFET will be served on Thursday, November 24, from 11:00 am-3:00 pm. The menu will feature slow-roasted NC turkey with sage gravy, hardwood-smoked ham, carved prime rib au jus, cornbread dressing, oyster dressing, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, sweet potato souffle, currant & almond pilaf, collard greens, vegetable casserole, cranberry relish, tri-colored kale salad, mixed green salad, fresh fruit, ambrosia & desserts! Cost for adults is $29.99; kids 7-12 are $8. Six and under eat free. Reservations are a must! Please call before noon on Wednesday, November 23.
- Make plans to attend our MEMBER CHRISTMAS PARTY on Wednesday, December 7. We’ve got big plans to kick off the holiday season with the angelic Voices in the Laurel! Mark your calendars and watch for more information! You won’t want to miss this celebration of the season!
PRIVATE HOLIDAY PARTIES
Our calendar is quickly filling with private parties this holiday season. If you want to hold your Christmas gathering or office party at the club, please call now to reserve your date. Best of all, club members receive a 50% discount on their room rental fee. To make arrangements for any upcoming banquet or catering needs, please contact LeShall at 828-452-0545, ext. 135 or email@example.com.
Do you know anyone looking for a country club home? We just love when our members tell their friends and colleagues about us! Spread the word…Laurel Ridge is welcoming new members with discounted initiations fees for Golf, Sports or Social Memberships. Best of all, when you refer a prospective member and they join, you receive a thank you – an account credit to spend any way you like. Call the office for details or to arrange a tour for your referrals.
We have new Trivia Champs! Team Empty Headed Nesters won the last Trivia challenge with 25 points, barely edging out Trivialities II (23), Team Wonderful (22), and Trivialities I (21). Everyone had great fun!! Congratulations to winning team members: (Front Row) Ray & Sonia McGowan, Richard Gerber, Judy Dykes, Florence Scarborough, Ron Petty, (Back Row) Bucky Dykes, Steve Scarborough & Rhonda Gerber. Thanks to the Tollisons for their stimulating questions. The next Trivia Night will be next Tuesday, October 11th. Come join the camaraderie!