WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
As we welcome a new, exciting season at Laurel Ridge, we are very pleased to welcome these new members! Be sure to reach out to them and make sure they feel at home.
- Louise & Reynolds Allen, Tampa, FL
- Rebecca & Brian Livesey, Waynesville, NC
- Ashley & Bruce Shapiro, Waynesville, NC
NEWS FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- The Ladies’ and Men’s Golf Associations are in full swing! Golf members are invited to participate by signing up in the Golf Shop. Women play on Wednesday mornings with different formats weekly and golfers of all handicaps are welcome to join the 9-hole or 18-hole groups. Men’s play days are Tuesdays and Thursdays with a full calendar of games. Sign up now for great golf and lasting friendships!
- Members braved the cold and wind on April 9th to compete in our Green Jacket Classic. This enjoyable tournament pairs skill with luck for interesting results. Each LRCC golfer drew a name from the field at the Masters and their scores were combined for the day’s total. Chuck Worrell finished on top with a net score of 75 and a total score of 144 after his lucky draw, Smiley Kauffman who shot a 69 at Augusta. In a tie for second with 145 were Doug McLaughlin and Larry Phalin. Finishing 4th was Jere Smith with a 149. Thanks to all that bundled up and teed off for this fun day of golf.
- Please be reminded that LRCC range balls are for use on the driving range only. Use of range balls on the golf course is prohibited.
- ATTENTION GOLFERS: Pink flags on the golf course designate newly-sodded areas. Please be sure to avoid these sections to allow the sod to grow. Holes #14 and 15 are still “Cart Path Only”, with Hole #15 remaining a par 3 until further notice.
Congratulations to SHARON BURCHELL for a hole-in-one yesterday while using a 6-iron on her last hole of the day with the LRLGA. The challenging pin placement on hole #17 didn’t prevent Sharon from this feat. Her playing partners, Bambi Wilson, Sue Major and Carolyn Bowers all witnessed her magnificent shot.
- Need golf shoes? The Golf Shop has new arrivals of the latest FOOT JOY styles for men and ladies. Come check out the colorful display for ladies and wide selection for men.
- DERBY DAYS are near and anticipation is high! Don’t miss this season-opening member favorite on May 6 & 7. Call the Pro Shop for details or download a 16-Derby Entry Form.
- LADIES’ GOLF CLINICS will return on Tuesdays/Thursdays in May with instruction from our golf pros. Get a jump start on the season with valuable tips and pointers on your game, from putting and chipping to full swing. The clinics will be held at 10:30 am on May 3, 5, 10, 12, 17 & 19. Call the Golf Shop to sign up.
- SAVE THE DATE: The Men’s Members/Member Tournament will be held May 21-22.
- The prestigious MEN’S MEMBER/GUEST TOURNAMENT will be held July 14-16, 2016. Invite your golfing friends and make plans to play in this 3-day event. There are events for the ladies during this tournament also!
FITNESS CENTER UPDATE
All memberships now include full 24-hour access to our Fitness Center. Anyone wishing to receive a code for entry when the Golf Shop is closed should call the office and leave your request with Mandy. It is our pleasure to offer a variety of quality fitness and health programs to our membership as follows:
- PILATES with Erin Owens is offered on Mondays and Fridays. With over 20 years experience, Erin specializes in teaching Pilates as therapeutic exercise. She has completed extensive continuing education certificate courses, including osteoporosis, pre- and post-natal, neurological conditions, spinal pathologies and injury rehab. Erin loves helping people find pain relief, confidence and joy through intelligent exercise.
- Strick Strickland’s weekly FITNESS TRAINING class is offered free to members on Wednesdays at noon. Strick has many years experience in personal training and can help you to begin or improve your workout at LRCC. Paula Eachus is one member that benefits from Strick’s expertise. She wants other members to know that, thanks to Strick’s class, she can see steady improvement in her stamina on the golf course.
- Sandy Lampl will begin her very popular YOGA & TONE classes on Monday mornings beginning May 16 at 9:30 am.
WELCOME TENNIS PROFESSIONAL, STEVEN HOWARD
Hello to all of our Laurel Ridge tennis players! My name is Steven Howard and I am a USPTA Elite Tennis Professional. I am excited to be moving next week to Waynesville, NC to begin work at Laurel Ridge Country Club. I will be hosting a free tennis clinic from 9 to 10 am on Saturday, April 30th to be followed by two hour of doubles mixer from 10 am to noon and hope to see everyone there. I will be handling any of the tennis needs for the club, including services such as: private and semi-private lessons, daily clinics, weekly socials, tennis racket sales and stringing. Prince Tennis and I will be teaming up to bring the latest technology that Prince has to offer. I have been in the tennis industry for sixteen plus years and have taught at every level of the tennis spectrum. I am currently a college tennis coach at College of Coastal Georgia and I have worked with many juniors and adult USTA teams as well. If you have any questions or would like to schedule lessons, clinics, or anything tennis related, please call me at 912-269-6599 or contact Laurel Ridge Tennis at 452-0545, ext. 162. I look forward to becoming involved in the Laurel Ridge tennis community and hope to see everyone on the courts soon.
Pickleball is quickly sweeping the nation and now it’s at Laurel Ridge. Come discover why players of all ages are falling in love with the sport. Beginning in May, days and times will be set aside for pickleball play, and members will be advised in advance when the Pavilion is in use for an event.
We are off to a very busy season! Over 80 members and their guests were served at Tuesday’s Flying Pasta Night and the season has just begun. As a reminder, lunch is served from 11:30 am-2:30 pm on Tuesday-Saturday and Brunch every Sunday from 11 am-2:30 pm. Dinner service is available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. For dinner and brunch, we ask that you please call ahead for reservations so that we are properly staffed and ready to serve you! Clubhouse dining is closed on Mondays.
- Great news! The TURN WINDOW will open on Fridays and Saturdays beginning tomorrow. After Memorial Day, the schedule will expand to daily operation, 10 am-4 pm. Freshly grilled burgers and made-to-order sandwiches are back! Follow this link for a complete Poster with TW menu legal.
- This week’s SUNDAY BRUNCH buffet will include carved leg of lamb, fried chicken, parsley potatoes, rice pilaf, green peas & carrots, steamed vegetable medley, macaroni salad, mixed green salad, omelet station, Belgian waffles with berry compote, cheese grits, home fries & more for $19.99! Kids 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13. The Bar is offering $5 Bloody Marys and $12 Unlimited Mimosas.
- ATTENTION SEAFOOD LOVERS! Chef Al will offer the first seafood buffet of the season on Tuesday, May 3! Whether you prefer broiled or fried, there is something for everyone on this abundant buffet.
- Show Mom how special she is with MOTHER’S DAY BRUNCH at LRCC. Chef’s special menu includes carved prime rib au jus, grilled Scottish salmon with tomatoes, roasted peppers & basil, pan-seared chicken breast with spinach & boursin cream, fingerling potatoes, basmati & cous cous pilaf, steamed asparagus, vegetable casserole, omelet station, bananas foster french toast casserole & more for $27.99. Children ages 7-12 are only $8; 6 and under are free. Reservation times have been extended to 3:00 pm; please call early to get the time you desire! Sorry, for this special brunch buffet, the “Breakfast Only” special is not available.
- LOOKING AHEAD – Mark your calendars for the first WINE DINNER of the season scheduled for Thursday, May 19th. Chef Al will expertly prepare a four course meal to pair perfectly with the wine selection offer by the sommelier. More information will follow; space is limited to the first 25 reservations so don’t delay.
YOUTH SUMMER SPORTS CAMPS
LRCC is excited to offer four week-long Summer Youth Sports & Activities Camps for ages 6-15. Your child or grandchild will benefit from valuable lessons from our Tennis & Golf Pros plus many other activities such as swimming, pickleball, basketball, field games plus arts and crafts. Days packed full of sports and learning activities will ensure a fun experience for all! Please click here for a 2016 Youth Sports Camp Brochure. Space is limited so call the office today to reserve a space today for your child or grandchild. Day camps will be offered during the following weeks in June and July with hours from 10 am-4 pm daily:
- Camp I – June 27 – July 1, 2016
- Camp II – July 11-15, 2016
- Camp III – July 18-22, 2016
- Camp IV – July 25-29, 2016
SAVE THE DATE!! All members are invited to CASINO NIGHT on Saturday, May 21st, to raise funds for the Haywood Healthcare Foundation. The evening will include dancing, roulette, poker, Black Jack, craps & heavy hors d’oeuvres. For tickets and information, contact Marge Stiles, 452-8343.
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
We had a very productive week last week in golf course maintenance. Our bulk fertilizer application was spread on Monday, April 11th. We covered all 93 acres of turf with fertilizer, weed control and grub control. In addition to the spreader truck, we used a tractor spreader and two push spreaders to apply the areas too tight for the large truck. In the coming weeks, we will continue to apply mulch to many areas around the course. This task has been very limited due to our additional workforce being delayed.
Approximately 2,000 square feet of bentgrass sod from Morganton, NC was purchased to sod some weak areas on tee boxes, fairways and trench lines where grass fill-in has been slow (#15, #14 & #12). This week, a load of bluegrass sod was applied on the golf course. We will make two more sod runs next week to continue to improve many areas of the golf course. We thank you for your continued patience with the spring fill-in. The forecasted temperatures look promising to warm up the soil temperatures which will encourage grass growth throughout the course.
Logan H. Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent
ART at Laurel Ridge
Another event has been added to LRCC’s Social Calendar…the very popular biennial art show is back! Laurel Ridge members and invited guest artists are invited to share their extraordinary talents with the community during this art exhibition and sale. Original paintings, one-of-a-kind quilts, pottery, jewelry, scarves and much more will be on display and for sale in the Pavilion on September 9, 2016 from 4-7 pm. The art show is open to the public and all are invited to dine afterwards in the Piedmont Room from 5:30-8:30 pm, by reservation only. Prepare to be awed by the craftsmanship and expertise that will be exhibited by our members.
Congratulations to Team Trivialities on their recent Trivia victory! They beat Team Clueless in last week’s Trivia Challenge, 26-23. Pictured from the winning team are: (L-R) Fred Tollison,guest Myra Brown, David Blevins, Annie Darnell, Nancy Blevins, Bob Darnell and Sarah Belle Tollison. Thanks to Pat and Jim Janke for providing the questions. The next Trivia Night is Tuesday, May 17 at 7 pm. Come early to dine!