Thanks for sharing your children and grandchildren (and mermaids!) with us for our Youth Summer Sports & Activities Camps. We could have some future sports stars in our midst! One more week of camp remains, July 25-29. Call the Pro Shop asap if you’re interested in reserving a spot for next week’s camp, 452-0545, option 1.
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
We are thrilled to extend a hearty Laurel Ridge welcome to the following new members. Please join us in making these new members feel at home.
- Andy & Shelli Buckner, Sylva, NC
- Richard & Cathlene Ferreira, Palm Harbor, FL
- Larry & Linda Flahardy, St. Augustine, FL
- Buck & Eleanor McInnis, Tampa, FL
- Caleb & Rachel Smith, Waynesville, NC
FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- Join us for a fun, social Mid-Summer Hilly Dilly on Sunday afternoon, July 24th. Make your own 4-some for this Captain’s Choice golf tournament that begins at 1 pm. Cost for golf is $30 plus cart fee (includes dinner). A Dinner Buffet will follow at 5:30 pm in the clubhouse for all members. The menu includes Spaghetti Bolognese, grilled chicken, green peas, mixed green salad, garlic bread & dessert for only $18 inclusive. Sign up in the Golf Shop.
- Hawaiian Shirt Day is near! The men and ladies are joining forces for this fun-filled golf event for the LRMGA & LRLGA on Thursday, July 28th. Wear your loudest Hawaiian shirt with pride! The golf format is a favorite: 6 holes shamble, 6 holes scramble & 6 holes Best Ball. After golf, enjoy a scrumptious lunch in the Clubhouse. Call the Golf Shop for details.
- Sign up in the Golf Shop for a NINE & DINE on Tuesday, August 2nd. This social couple’s golf event begins at 5 pm with nine holes of golf followed by dinner in the clubhouse (from the menu).
- Half-price Golf Guest Day is Monday, August 8th. The cost of $47 includes green fee, cart fee and a sandwich from the Turn Window. Members should accompany their guests.
- LOOKING AHEAD: The Golf Club Championships is scheduled for August 19-21. This event is for Ladies, Ladies Seniors, Men, Men Seniors & Men Super Seniors. Prizes will be awarded at a dinner banquet on Sunday after play.
- The 2016 Men’s Member Guest was a great success despite frequent rain showers.
Friday’s three nine hole matches were completed in the late afternoon. Even with wet clothes and muddy shoes, smiles and tall tales abounded as the first days matches were recounted. The island green competition was hotly contested, and five skilled players successfully struck the target under (finally) sunny skies. Expectations were high and Elvis did not disappoint on Friday evening. Singing along with the the familiar lyrics and fifties-style dancing was a great way to end the day. Saturday morning broke clear and sunny.
The temperatures were perfect and the golf was intense. The island green shootout took place during the lunch break and Garrett Greene was the winner after hitting the float with his very last shot! All four flights were finally concluded. By days end, four flight winners had emerged. Flight 1: Roy and Garrett Greene, Flight 2: Dave Matthys and Ken Wilson, Flight 3: Pat Mathes and John Schrot, Flight 4: Don and Dennis McGowan. Also qualifying for the shootout were Adam and Buddy Rawley, by virtue of having earned the most points without winning their flight. Teams were eliminated one by one in three trips down #18, accompanied by a slightly raucous but well behaved gallery on the deck. It came down to two teams with a chip-off for the Champions. The Rawleys emerged the overall winners; with Matthys/Wilson taking second place.Saturday night’s banquet for all participants, spouses and guests was a huge success, with a fantastic dinner followed by the awards dinner. The entire weekend was thoroughly enjoyed by members and their guests alike,and anticipation is already high for the 2017 season! Congrats to our winners and many thanks to all the participants!
- Jack Prevost got his first ever Hole-in-One on Thursday, hole #17 playing from the white tees ~142 yards! Jack said, “It only took me 65 years!” Jack’s partners were Van Conoley and Phil Reece. Congratulations on this memorable shot!
- Tuesday’s LRMGA “Progressive” format finished with Ray Todd, Paul Henson & Don Haynes in first place with -12. Just behind in second were Kevin Cronin, Chuck Wilson & Shelly James. Dave Matthys won Closest to the Pin on #3. On Thursday, “2 Net Plus Additional Birdies” finished with Dick Oehme, Don McGowan, John Bowers & Russell Smith in the lead with -27. Jack Duckworth was Closest to the Pin on #3.
- This week, the LRLGA played a very close match of “Low Putts”. Tied for first place was Bambi Wilson and Robin Phelan with scores of 31. There was another tie for third place between Lynne James and Carolyn Bowers with 32. Roxanne McCarthy finished close behind with 33. Anne Arnold won the 9-Holers play with a score of 34, followed by Jean McCarthy with 38.
- Attention golfers…mark your calendars for the Haywood Healthcare Foundation Charitable Classic Golf & Gala on August 30 & 31. Click here for a downloadable flyer.
- PLEASE NOTE TIME CHANGE: Sandy Lampl’s Yoga & Tone Class on Mondays will now start at 10 am. Follow the link for an up-to-date FITNESS CLASS SCHEDULE.
- The next free Fitness Training Class for members is Wednesday at noon! Let Strick’s years of experience help you tailor your workout to get the most benefit for a healthy life! No pre-registration required; meet in the Weight Room & prepare to be motivated.
- LMBT Brenda Gibson is offering MASSAGE SERVICES in the newly renovated Massage Room in the Fitness Center beginning at $70/hour. Brenda has been a licensed, practicing Massage Therapist since 2009 specializing in Relaxation, Deep Tissue, Trigger Point Therapy, Neuromuscular Therapy, Hot Stone, as well as aromatherapy and other enhancements. Appointments should be made with Brenda personally, (850) 491-9425. She also offers convenient online booking on her website, waynesvillemassagebybrenda.com.
- Candra Smith provides MASSAGE to members for $90/hour or $120 1-1/2 hour. Candra is owner of the Maggie Valley Wellness Center, a licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist. She graduated from UNCW in 2002 with a BS in Exercise Science and has been practicing Massage and Yoga in Haywood County for nine years. She specializes in deep, therapeutic massage. For July only, she is offering Buy One, Get One for Half Price. For an appointment or pricing, call (828) 944-0288.
Our courts remain as busy as ever with lots of men’s and ladies’ play as well as summer camp for the juniors. Our Saturday programs tomorrow morning will begin with the Clinic at 9 am and a Stay and Play from 10 am-12 pm. The clinic is $15 for members. Please sign up for clinics, courts, activities and lessons at least 24 hours in advance. If your tennis racquet needs a tune up, let me know as I have a variety of affordable strings and grips that you may select from and I offer same day service in most cases. I hope everyone has a great weekend and as always, you can contact me on my cell or by email, 912-269-6599 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Steven Howard, Director of Tennis
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Tuesday and Wednesday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. Please note the change from the previous Wednesday/Thursday schedule. Member Jerry McCarthy has volunteered to be the contact for these matches so please call him for more information, 452-6858. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable July 26-27 & August 5 due to private and member events (subject to change).
Thanks for your incredible support of the restaurant and Turn Window this season! The restaurant serves dinner every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evening. Check your email or the online events calendar for menus and hours. Lunch in the clubhouse is available Tuesday through Saturday and a scrumptious Sunday Brunch is offered with a different menu weekly. Our Turn Window is open daily, 10 am-4 pm. Please call ahead for dinner and brunch reservations.
- Please remember, lunch service on Saturday, July 23rd will close at 2 pm to set up for a private event. The Turn Window is open until 4 pm with lunch options, beer & wine. Also, no dinner service is available on Wednesday, July 27 due to the Haywood Christian Ministry Banquet & Auction. Thank you for understanding.
- Sunday’s Brunch Buffet will offer “Thanksgiving in July” with slow-roasted turkey & gravy, hardwood-smoked ham, cornbread dressing, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, vegetable casserole, green beans, mixed green salad, apple-pineapple-raisin salad, omelet station, biscuits & gravy, bacon & sausage, cheese grits, homefries & more for $19.99. Kids 7-12 can eat for $8; 6 & under are free! MEMBERS ONLY can order the breakfast portion for $13. The Bar is offering specials on Bloody Marys & Mimosas
- A Dinner Buffet will be served Sunday evening at 5:30 pm in the clubhouse for all members following the Hilly Dilly Golf Tournament. The menu includes Spaghetti Bolognese, grilled chicken, green peas, mixed green salad, garlic bread & dessert for only $18 inclusive.
- Don’t miss next Tuesday night at LRCC! Chef will offer a FAMILY BUFFET featuring fried flounder, meatloaf with Applewood-smoked bacon, creamed potatoes, corn casserole, steamed cabbage, roasted carrots, chicken & rice soup & more for $18.99. Following dinner, TRIVIA will begin in the Cedar Room at 7 pm. Bring a team or come alone & join a team. Cost for Trivia is $5 per person.
- SOCK HOP MEMBER MIXER: Plan to “Rock Around the Clock” at a Sock Hop Member Mixer on Friday, August 5th! You’ll “go ape” for the dinner buffet including burgers, grilled cheese, onion rings, fries, broccoli salad and ice cream sundaes. The cost of only $20 inclusive include dinner & music from DJ Wes. Dig through your closet for that poodle skirt or jeans and t-shirts and don’t miss the fun…this bash will be “Coolsville”!
- LOOKING AHEAD: On Friday evening August 19th, JAZZ GUITARIST Steve Wohlrab will play during dinner service from 5:30 – 8:30 pm. Watch your email for Chef’s Dinner Specials. Don’t miss this special night of dining at LRCC!
If you like to curl up with a good book in your spare time, check out the Lending Library in the Golf Shop/Fitness Center building. All kinds of books have been donated by members and are available to check out. Or if you have any books that you have already read and you are ready to donate, drop them off in the Golf Shop for others to enjoy. Ask the Golf Shop personnel to point you in the right direction.
CONCEALED WEAPONS COURSE
Member Harvey Morse will teach a Concealed Weapons & NC/FL Carry Permit Course on August 2-3, 2016. Classes will be held at LRCC from 10 am-2 pm. Cost is $99 plus lunch. Class fees include ammo and are payable to Mr. Morse (cash is preferred/checks accepted). For questions or to sign up, call 828-631-0000.
Don’t forget Date Night on Fridays! Parents can enjoy golf, tennis, swimming or dining in the clubhouse while the kids (potty-trained thru age 12 only, please) play games and activities, have dinner and watch a movie on Friday nights. Kids may be dropped off at The Market anytime after 5:30 pm and must be picked up by 9:30 pm. Parents must sign in and out for each child and remain on LRCC property while children are in our care. $12 inclusive per child for the evening includes childcare, dinner & beverages. Please make an advance reservation for your child by calling Mandy at 452-0545, ext. 131.
Members are invited to a Gala to support the work of the Haywood Community College Foundation on September 16th at LRCC. Guests will enjoy a buffet dinner, demonstrations by students and alumni, music and a silent auction. All monies raised will work to aid, strengthen, and further the work and service of Haywood Community College in securing financial support for scholarships, mini-grants, College events, community initiatives, and student and instructor initiatives. For tickets or information, call 627-4522 or email visit haywood.edu/foundation.
ACT QUICKLY FOR MEMBERSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Very little time is left to take advantage of this fantastic opportunity to join! Through July, we are offering Golf, Sports or Social Memberships with discounted initiation fees with a 2-year commitment! Tell your friends, business associates and colleagues about the benefits of membership. All members enjoy year-round social activities, clubhouse dining & 24-hour Fitness Center access. Sports members also have tennis, pickleball & pool privileges. Golf members can play unlimited rounds all year. Best of all, when you refer a prospective member and they join, you receive an account credit to spend any way you like.