Do you know anyone looking for a country club home? For a very limited time, we are offering Golf, Sports or Social Memberships with discounted initiation fees with a 2-year commitment! Tell your friends, business associates and colleagues about the benefits of membership. All members enjoy year-round social activities, clubhouse dining & 24-hour Fitness Center access. Sports members also have tennis, pickleball & pool privileges. Golf members can play unlimited rounds all year. Best of all, when you refer a prospective member and they join, you receive an account credit to spend any way you like. Call the office for details; this offer ends June 30th!
FROM THE GOLF SHOP
- PRO SHOP SALE! Men’s Cutter & Buck or FootJoy Shirts: Buy 1, get 50% off! Buy 2, get 60% off! Buy 3 or more, get 70% off! Over 100 to choose from.
- We thank you for taking pride in our golf course and filing divots, repairing ball marks and paying attention to all cart directional signs. We have invested many months of labor, love and money to make LRCC the best possible golf experience for our members and we need your help to reach our goals.
- Exciting news! A new fleet of 50 Club Car Precedent i2 GOLF CARTS is making its way to LRCC due to arrive by late June! You can expect these top-of-the-line cars to have electronic fuel injection with improved efficiency and performance. Thanks to the Harmons for keeping our golf fleet state-of-the-art!
- The much-awaited BATTLE OF THE SEXES Golf Tournament is coming up on June 5, 2016. Men vs. Women with bragging rights on the line. The women were victorious last year and the men will be looking for revenge. Look out, ladies! Non-golfers are welcome at the dinner buffet at 5:30 pm.
- ATTENTION MEN: The prestigious 2016 MEN’S MEMBER/GUEST TOURNAMENT will be held on July 14-16. All male golfing members are eligible to participate. Invite your guests now for this memorable 3-day event. We will have events for the ladies too! Official invitations will be mailed soon.
- All members are invited to play in WCU’s charitable golf tournament on June 3rd to benefit the “Pride of the Mountain” Marching Band. Golf begins at 1 pm followed by dinner in the Pavilion. Those interested may register online at prideofthemountains.com. Let’s all support this great band on their journey to success!
- Make sure your MEMORIAL DAY includes spending time at LRCC! A golf scramble will tee off at 1 pm and the pool will be open with games in the afternoon. A special Tennis Mixer is planned and everyone is invited to a “cookout” dinner buffet at 5:30 pm with hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken & the works. Cost for golf is $30 plus cart (includes dinner) and non-golfers can dine for $18 inclusive.
- LRMGA’s format for Thursday was “2Net plus Additional Birdies”. Chuck Wilson, Ed McHugh and Don Haynes won the top spot, posting a score of -26 for the day, with a lot of help from Chuck Wilson who birdied three out of the four Par 3s…amazing! Finishing in second place was the team of Brian Boeye, Andy Rawley and Doug McLaughlin with a -22. Rick Schlapkohl won the Closest To Pin prize. Tuesday’s play was cancelled due to weather conditions.
- On Wednesday, the LRLGA played a fun game of “Low Putts”. With only 31 putts, Priscilla Boeye finished first, followed closely by Veronica Von Zwehl in second with 32 putts and Linda McHugh in third with 33. Next week, the ladies will have their Spring luncheon and meeting after golf on May 25.
- Sandy Lampl’s YOGA TONE class begins next Monday at 9:30 am. If you want to unlock your body and heal your aches, don’t miss this weekly class! Class participants are asked to make a donation to Sandy for her services. Mats are available but please bring a mat if you have one. For more info, call Sandy at (828) 226-2171. For a complete listing of scheduled classes, follow this link, LRCC Fitness Class Schedule.
- Candra Smith, a licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist, is offering MASSAGE SERVICES to members at LRCC. She graduated from UNCW in 2002 with a BS in Exercise Science and has been practicing Massage and Yoga in Haywood County for nine years, specializing in deep, therapeutic massage. Massage prices at LRCC: 60 minute massage- $90; 90 minute massage- $120. Her services are available by appointment only, (828)545-8918 or (828) 944-0288.
Good rainy week to everyone. The season is kicking off and the tennis is better than ever! There are many groups looking for extra players. If you are interested in joining a group, please email me at email@example.com or call me and I will work to get you on the courts. Remember, if you are a new member, you have a 25 minute private session/orientation with me free of charge.
MEMORIAL DAY is sneaking up on us very fast, and we will have a fun-filled day on the courts! The day will begin with a 10 am clinic followed by an 11 am round robin and ending with a “1 Point Tournament” to crown our LRCC Memorial Day champion. If interested in the Memorial Day events, please drop by the tennis center, call 912-269-6599 or email so I can make sure that I will have everything covered. Bring your smiles because pictures will be taken for our website and Facebook. I want to spread the LRCC tennis experience to anyone that is interested, so if there are any past members or potential new members interested in joining, please let us know so we can reach out to them.
In the month of June, I will be offering 10% off all lessons and restringing. Get in touch with me and we can tune up your game and your racket. Also, I am offering JUNIOR TENNIS PROGRAMS for anyone with children that want to learn the great game of tennis on Tuesday and Thursday beginning at 3 pm. Contact me and and I will help put the juniors in the correct clinics. Please sign up at least 24 hours in advance for any clinics and look for changes in the programming. I hope everyone has a great weekend and remember that tennis is best played over the net!! Have a great week, Steven Howard
LRCC has two courts in our Pavilion for member’s use when not reserved for club events. Members may play for 15 minutes when others are waiting to play and each player must sign a required liability waiver before playing. Guests may play at a fee of $10 per person per day, same as tennis guests. For those needing to rent equipment, we have paddles and balls available for member rental at the main office, 10 am-4 pm, Monday-Friday. Pickleball equipment from pickleballcentral.com may also be ordered through our main office at preferential pricing by calling Scott at 452-0545, ext. 132.
DROP-IN PICKLEBALL MATCHES are held each Wednesday and Thursday in the Pavilion at 4 pm. If the Pavilion is in use for club events, drop-ins are cancelled. Pickleball courts are unavailable May 22, 24, 27-28, 30 and June 3-5 due to private and member events.
We are right on schedule for a May 27th opening! The pool has a fresh coat of paint and the area looks great! Pool games are planned for Memorial Day afternoon so bring the family and stay for dinner at 5:30 pm (please call ahead for reservations).
CONCEALED WEAPONS COURSE
Member Harvey Morse will teach a Concealed Weapons & NC Carry Permit Course on June 3-4, 2016. Classes will be held at LRCC on June 3rd in the Mountain Vista Room from 9 am-5pm. All guns and ammo will be provided. On June 4th, class will meet at a different location for weapons handling, etc. Cost is $99 payable to Mr. Morse (cash is preferred/checks accepted) plus the cost of your lunch. For questions or to sign up, call 828-631-0000.
ART at LAUREL RIDGE
Calling all Artists! Save the date for the 2016 ART at Laurel Ridge, an exclusive viewing & sale of original artwork featuring LRCC members & invited guests artists. This event has been scheduled for Friday, September 9 from 4-7 pm in the Pavilion. As before, the exhibition and sale will be open & free to the public. Laurel Ridge has many extraordinary artisans and we are excited to showcase their talents. Refreshments will be served and dining is available by reservation only, 452-0545. Contact Leshall by June 30th if you are interested in participating, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t miss this fun, lively art event on June 4th sponsored by the Haywood County Arts Council where professional artists race the clock to start and complete a work of art in one fast-paced hour while you watch. Proceeds from this event benefit the arts in Haywood County. For tickets and information, visit wncquickdraw.com.
- FLYING PASTA NIGHT is next Tuesday, May 24th. Don’t miss this member favorite! Please call ahead for reservations.
- The TURN WINDOW is now open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday! On May 27th, the schedule will expand to daily operation, 10 am-4 pm. Freshly grilled burgers and made-to-order sandwiches are back! Come meet Lisa, our primary Turn Window attendant. Follow this link for a complete Turn Window menu.
- As our members return to the mountains from their winter abodes, we get excited! We hope everyone will join us for our Welcome Back Party on Friday, June 10, 2016 with cocktails at 6 pm and dinner at 7 pm in the Pavilion. Come catch up with friends you haven’t seen in a while and greet the newest members of the Laurel Ridge family! The Pro Shop will set up golf games Big Break style including Flop Wall, Black Jack & the popular Island Green. A cash bar will be available and chef will prepare a dinner buffet including fried chicken and BBQ pork for only $15 inclusive. We’re glad you’re here!
- Treat Dad to FATHER’S DAY BRUNCH at LRCC on June 19th! Chef Al will offer a buffet fit for a King including slow-roasted prime rib au jus, smoke BBQ back ribs, fried chicken, yukon potato mash, roasted pepper mac & cheese, green beans, vegetable casserole, citrus slaw, seafood pasta salad, spring salad, omelet station, bacon & sausage, biscuits & gravy, cheese grits, home fries & more for $27.99. Kids 7-12 eat for $8; 6 & under are free. Sorry, the Member Only Breakfast Special is not available on this day. Make your reservations early to ensure availability for the time you wish to reserve between 11 am-3 pm.
- SAVE THE DATE! On Friday, July 22nd, LRCC will partner with HART to bring you a memorable evening of DINNER & THEATRE. Members can wine and dine at the club before traveling to Hart Theatre to enjoy reserved seating for Jesus Christ Superstar, the timeless work that rocked the world in 1971! For those not attending the theatre, only one seating is available for dinner service at 6 pm with a special plated meal.
ONLINE ACCOUNT ACCESS
All members can now view their club charges, payments and statements online! This means that if you are uncertain about a dining or golf charge, you can view the actual ticket in question. Or if you want to know your current account balance, you have full access to all your up-to-date balance information. Simply follow the link provided on the bottom of LRCC’s website homepage (Paycloud Portal). An option to pay online with a credit card using PLASTIQ is also available for a minimal fee of 2.39%. To find out your confidential account sign-on, call the office or email email@example.com.
Also, did you know that you can receive your monthly statement by email? This option is great for many members that travel frequently or have more than one residence. To choose email statements and opt out of mailed statements, call the office and leave your preferred email address that you would like to use. It’s that easy…let’s save some trees!
GOLF COURSE SUPERINTENDENT’S UPDATE
What a tease the rain has been this week. Or should I say the lack of rain. Even though the temperatures have been mild, the entire area around Waynesville is dry. Another trailer load of bluegrass sod was laid this week and we were hoping that natural rain would help with root establishment. The new state-of-the-art irrigation system is wonderful, but the natural nitrogen in rain is a necessity. New sod areas are being watered on holes 1, 3, 9, 13, 15, 16, 17 and 18. Our bluegrass sod comes from Hendersonville, NC where they have been experiencing a major drought as well. By the time the sod is trucked on an open-air trailer back to Waynesville, it is in need of heavy amounts of water. Fortunately, all the sodded areas look wonderful and over the next several months they will blend into the existing turf.
Several new pieces of equipment have been bought and leased this spring. Two new decks for our Ventrac units allow for a flexing mowing deck around the greens, tees and sloped areas. A tough cut deck will allow a Ventrac mower to help keep the native areas cut. We hope to cut all native areas two to three times during the growing season. We were also fortunate enough to lease a new Toro fairway unit that will assist in the mowing of 26 acres of fairways. And for the first time, we purchased a new towable turbine blower (pictured). This blower will keep the cart paths debris-free and will also be helpful during aerification and leaf season.
After a difficult season last year, the improvements that are now evident have created a feeling of excitement all around the club. Our staff is working very hard to make Laurel Ridge Country Club exceptional. Thank you for all of your patience and support. Have a great Member-Member tournament this weekend! Logan Nesbitt, Golf Course Superintendent
Kudos to Team Empty-Headed Nesters for their victory in this week’s Trivia challenge, winning by only one point! And thanks to Fred Tollison for the excellent questions. Team members pictured below are: Ray & Sonia McGowan, Dixie & Don Thompson, Don McGowan, Marilynn Obrig, Geri McGowan & Judy Dykes. The next Trivia Night will be on Tuesday, May 31st.